This mix began with a discovery – a discovery that connected the musical past with the present. It’s a combination of Big Beat, a genre that originated in the mid-90s, and Glitch Hop, its most recent reincarnation. The ingredients: Banging HipHop beats, distorted synthesizers and lots of sampling.
I used to be a big fan of Big Beat back in the 90s and early 00s. This style just seemed to tear down musical borders and combine the best elements of HipHop, Rock and electronic music. When I discovered Glitch Hop a couple of weeks ago, I immediately noticed the similarities. Glitch Hop seems to be a fresh take on the ideas that I loved about Big Beat – which makes it sound familiar and new at the same time to me.
“Leave Home” by the Chemical Brothers can certainly be considered a classic. It was the first track on their debut album “Exit Planet Dust”, and even though I love this track, I haven’t used it in a DJ set so far. Time to change that! Opiuo from Australia is one of the more recent artists in this mix and also one of my favorites right now.
I also have a couple of great tracks from Pretty Lights, who actually gives most of his music away for free – amazing if you know how good his stuff is!
I am sorry I don’t have much to tell about the artists in this mix right now, but I am still somewhat in the discovery phase for this style. You can see this mix as a document of my progress in discovering this new/old world. 😉
- The Chemical Brothers – Leave Home
- Bump – Salty (Original Mix)
- Samples – Back in Black (Samples Remix)
- DJ DLG – Rock This (Original Mix)
- K Theory – Glitch & Blues (Original Mix)
- Ray! – Good Thymes (Opiuo Remixx)
- Frost Raven, K Theory – 18th Century Gangster (Original Mix)
- Pretty Lights – I Can See It In Your Face
- Opiuo – Robo Booty (Original Mix)
- The Crystal Method – Divided By Night
- Great Scott – Looking Good (Instrumental)
- The Prodigy – Voodoo People (Chemical Brothers Remix)
- Dadamnphreaknoizphunk – Rhyme Bomb Part 2
- Analog Mc, K+Lab – Wrecked (Opiuo Mix)
- DCarls All In (Original Mix)
- Korn & The Dust Brothers – Kick The P.A.