There is an unwritten law among electronic music DJs: Do not change the tempo of the tracks in your set. If you have to, change it slowly and only by a few BPM.
I wanted to find out what happens if you break that law – and so far, I am happy with the result.
I included few Dubstep tracks in this track, and I am actually happy to see that Dubstep has come a long way in the last few years. It used to be mostly about slow beats and wobbly basslines, but it has become much more.
My favorite proof for that fact is “Dubvine” by Ashes, a great remix of “I Heard It Through The Grapevine” by Marvin Gaye. It has everything a great track needs: A strong rhythm, a great melody and dynamics. I love that one!
DJ Fresh is probably best known for his Drum&Bass productions. However, as Drum&Bass and Dubstep are often seen as closely related styles, it’s no miracle that his latest single “Gold Dust” works well as a Dubstep version, too.
“Missing” by Everything But The Girl used to be a big hit in the 90s. The original version is actually a rather slow song, but Todd Terry’s club mix has made this one famous on the dancefloors as well. I have to admit that I find the track a little cheesy now. The remix definitely shows its age, but the Dubstep version by Coven is a nice rebrush.
Oh, and if you are not yet familiar with one of the best Garage / Dubstep producers right now, then you should really get to know Rusko…
- Ashes – Dubvine
- Everything But The Girl – Missing (Coven Remix)
- Everything But The Girl – Missing (Todd Terry Club Mix)
- [re:jazz] – Gabrielle Feat. Alice Russell (Kiko Navarro Main Mix – Edit)
- Muse – Knights of Cydonia (Nostalgia Dubstep Remix)
- DJ Fresh – Gold Dust (Flux Pavillion Remix)
- Rusko – Raver’s Spesh
- Faithless – We Come 1 (Wookie Remix)
- Surkin – Next Of Kin (Todd Edwards re-kindled mix)
- La Roux – In For The Kill (Foamo’s Skream Remix Bootleg)
- La Roux – In For The Kill (Skream’s Let’s Get Ravey Remix)
- Kings Of Leon – Use Somebody (DJ Slink Mix)
- Parov Stelar – Love
- Scanty Sandwich – Because Of You