About 10 years ago, there was a hype around a new sound from the UK. It was called 2Step or UK Garage and sounded like a fusion of House, RnB and Breaks. The hype didn’t really last long (at least outside the UK), but over the last few years, there seems to be a revival of that sound with some really good tracks coming out right now. I really like the current UK Garage wave as it seemed somewhat different from the first one (less cheesy), so I created this mix.
- Atzen Paule – Eleanor Rugby
- Geeneus & Katy B – As I
- DJ Zinc – Wile Out
- Shystie – Pull It (Ill Blu Remix)
- Edu K – Ja, Mann!
- Apster & Bassjackers – Klambu
- Agzamoff – Misile Boy (Mix 1)
- ATFC Presents OnePhatDeeva feat. Lisa Millet – Bad Habit (Stanton Warriors Vocal Edit)
- Baby D – Let Me Be Your Fantasy (Trick or Treat Remix)
- Multi Dubz – All Massive (Remix)
- Wiley ft. Emeli Sandè – Never Be Your Woman (Solo (UK) Loves Garage Remix)
- Roska & Jamie George – Wonderful Day
Nerditional information: If you live in the UK, this sound is probably old news for you. However, this style seems to be almost non-existant outside of the UK for reasons I don’t really know.
I included a few older Garage tracks such as Atzen Paule’s awesome “Doom’s Night/Eleanor Rigby” bootleg or Baby D’s “Let Me Be Your Fantasy“. I think it makes sense to show those references to see how the sound has evolved.
If I didn’t know the context of Apster & Bassjacker’s “Klambu“, I would probably have mistaken it for a very strange Minimal track, but in this context this track really stands out for being at once anthemic and alien.
One of my current favorites is DJ Zinc’s “Wile Out” which makes me suspect that previous DnB producers might sometimes be the better House producers.