After exploring the melodic side of Drum&Bass in Sweet Headache 003: Snowball Fight , I wanted to record a darker and harder DnB-mix. It’s still kinda playful, so it shouldn’t really be rocket science to enjoy this mix. A glass of jet fuel might be a good drink along with this.
- Sub Focus – Rock It
- Rob Sparks – Disintegration
- Jade – Pulp Friction
- Fatboy Slim – The Rockafeller Skank (Mulder’s Urban Takeover Remix)
- Enea – Kill
- Sub Focus – Timewarp
- Enter Shikaru – Juggernauts (Nero Remix)
- Gimbal&Sinan – Take Off (Dreadmaul Remix)
- Bennie G. & Zeven – Anthem
- Santogold – Unstoppable (Calculon and Eric Yo! Remix)
- Dieselboy & Kaos – Barrier Break
- Psidream & MC Mecha – Atomsmash
- Concord Dawn – Raining Blood
Nerditional Information: It took me a while to remember why the vocal sample in Enea’s “Kill” sounded familiar: “HAL, despite your enormous intellect, are you ever frustrated by your dependence on people to carry out actions?” – “Not in the slightest bit. I enjoy working with people.” This is a quote from Stanley Kubrick’s classic “2001” – and using this quote in a track called “Kill” can certainly be interpreted as dark irony.
Sub Focus are one of my favorite Drum&Bass acts in recent times. Their last album includes both straight, high-quality DnB-smashers as well as some good and unusual House tunes. I believe that it’s often a good thing if an artist takes a shot at a different genre, so kudos to them! If you haven’t seen it, check out the video for Sub Focus’ “Rock It”!
The last track (“Raining Blood”) is based on a Heavy Metal song (Slayer’s “Raining Blood”). I used to listen to Metal for a while, so may that’s why Concord Dawn’s rework resonates with me. The original is quite different though…