As I already mentioned in my last post, I re-discovered Drum&Bass last year. I was always a fan of broken beats, but for a while, I had the impression that not much was happening in Drum&Bass any more. I was wrong, and I discovered a few really great tracks last year that I just had to make a mix of.
There is also quite a bit of snow here in Cologne right now. If it’s the same wherever you are, this might actually make a perfect soundtrack for your own snowball fight. 🙂
- Hilltribe vs. Staple Singers – Going Away (Hilltribe Mix)
- Mathematics – Get Up
- Icicle – That Tune
- DJ Marky, Jenna G, M.I.S.T. & XRS – Sunshine (Touch Me)
- Phoneheads – Roll That Stone
- Lynx – Heat Haze
- Stakka Bo – Here We Go (Gimbal & Sinan Remix)
- Brookes Brothers – Tear You Down
- DJ Fresh – Hypercaine
- Calvin Harris – Ready For The Weekend (High Contrast Remix)
- M.I.A. – Paper Planes (Calculon Remix)
- Snow – Informer (Gimbal & Sinan Remix)
- Kawan – Bikram Singh & Gunjan (Drum&Bass Remix)
There are two tracks in that mix that were big hits in my early teenage years: Snow’s “Informer” and “Here We Go” by Stakka Bo. While I cannot listen to most tracks from that time without suffering, those two were actually some of the better ones. As both were remixed by Gimbal&Sinan, I assume that those guys feel the same way.
I also included “Roll That Stone“, an older track by the German Drum&Bass legends known as Phonehads. I only mention that they are from Germany because Drum&Bass is so UK-centered that it’s remarkable when there are successful acts outside of the UK.
Talking about the UK: If you haven’t seen it yet, don’t miss the awesome dance video to DJ Fresh’s “Hypercaine”! And if you like this style, check out one of UK’s finest DnB labels Breakbeat Kaos, home to a few of my favorite DnB-artists right now.