In this mix, I tried to define the kind of Techno/Electro/TechHouse that really kicks my ass.
I recently discussed with my DJ friend Phonkmaster that there is so much great music out there, but we thought that most of the sets that get played on local Techno parties (even by the big names in the scene) are somewhat boring.
What I really want is this: Banging beats, ass-kicking basslines, some nice melodies and occasionally a familiar tune. This might not be the kind of style that fills most of the dancefloors right now, but I would really like to hear more of this – even if that means I have to organize it myself.
Here’s the mix:
I noticed that Mau5trap (the label founded by Deadmau5) seems to release quite a bit of the kind of sound that I talked about. Apart from the Deadmau5 tracks in this mix, veteran DJ Moguai also released his track “Monkey Business” here – what a banger!
There are also some older tracks in this mix: Monosurround’s remix of Phil Fuldner’s “(Never) Too Late” is one of my long-time favorites, and I have also been having the vinyl containing Swen Weber’s “Maya” for quite a while. Tim Davison managed to make the Underworld classic “Cowgirls” shine again, and Bladerunner mashed up a few tunes together in such a brilliant way that I had to put it in this mix.
I ended this mix with three tracks from a rising genre known as “Complextro”. Some just like to call it “Dubstep House”, but I think it’s definitely fresh and really interesting. I would particularly like to highlight James Egbert, one of my favorite artists in this genre.
- Orbital – Wonky (Japanese Popstars Mix)
- Swen Weber – Maya (Acid Rework)
- Daft Punk – Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger (Deadmau5 Remix)
- Moguai – Monkey Business
- Underworld – Cowgirls (Tim Davison Remix)
- Phunk Investigation, Schuhmacher – From The Dust
- Phil Fuldner – (Never) Too Late (Monosurround Remix)
- Madox – Hypnotic Funk (Rightism Rave Re-Edit)
- Deadmau5 – Where My Keys
- Deadmau5 & W. Gartner vs. Technotronic & DAG – Pump Up The Animal Rights (Bladerunner Bootleg Mix)
- Sylvane – Freak Out
- Jay Jacob, Porn Stars – Time To Party (FTampa Remix)
- James Egbert – Back To New